Welcome to Fawcett Nursery.
"Run, run, as fast as you can; you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man!"
The children have enjoyed joining in with the repeated refrain from our new story: The Gingerbread Man.
We have been exploring lots of different gingerbread man activities: transient art, playdough and counting the gingerbread man's buttons.
We have been talking about our grandparents (linked to Little Red Riding Hood's granny). Your child is welcome to bring a photo of their grandparent(s) into Nursery to share with the class at Circle Time. Please give any photos to a Nursery adult at the start of your child's session.
Little Red Riding Hood
The children are enjoying sharing our new fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood. We have explored red sensory and water play, found out about wolves and talked about what we use our ears, nose, eyes and teeth for.
The children have been making cupcakes, just like the ones that Little Red Riding Hood took in her basket to her grandmother.
Winter outside play
We have been noticing the changes in the weather this week. Outside we explored the ice and discovered different ways to make it crack.
We have been thinking about different ways to be kind to each other. Look how tall our kindness wall is growing. Well done Nursery children!
The children have been working hard on recognising their names at snack time. We have seen amazing progress over the last week in how quickly the children are finding their snack mats.
Fawcett Nursery Lending Library
We have started sending books home with the children to share at home. Thank you to those families who have returned their first book after enjoying it with their child. Many of the children have been excited about choosing a new book at home time.
- Unfortunately parents are still reporting cases of head lice in Nursery. Please check your child's hair weekly. If your child has lice, treatment is required every three days for nine days so as to catch the newly hatched lice. We are grateful for your help. Let's work together to completely get rid of head lice from our classroom. For further information please visit the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/head-lice-and-nits/.
- We are finding that some children are having toileting accidents at the start of a nursery session. Please make sure that your child has been to the toilet before the start of the session at home or please encourage them to use our nursery toilets as soon as they arrive. Obviously, we will continue to remind them to use the toilet throughout the day.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding!
FAWCETT NURSERY LENDING LIBRARY
We are delighted to be able to introduce our new lending library. Sharing books with children from an early age has been directly linked to improved literacy outcomes. You can make a big difference for your child at home. Children at Nursery will be given the option to choose a book to borrow from our trolley to take home and share with family and friends. We will keep a log of which books have been taken home. Please could parents return the book to Nursery within a week and keep it safe and in a good condition, so that other families can enjoy it in the future. We would also be grateful for any donations of books to add to our library.
We are coming to the end of our final week of sharing the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
Giant teddy bear collage
Eating porridge like Goldilocks
Making and wearing teddy bear ears to help us retell the story
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
We have also been talking about our likes and dislikes. Our favourite fruit in Nursery is strawberries!
Happy New Year from everyone at Fawcett Nursery!
IMPORTANT: the deadline for applications for your child's school Reception place is 15 January 2019. Please ensure that you have applied online by this date.
We are getting ready for Christmas! Painting the star for our Christmas singing, decorating salt dough decorations and hanging them on the Christmas tree.
Children who attend Nursery on Thursdays are invited to bring some money for the Surprise Room on 6th December. Presents can be bought for £1.50. Maximum two presents per child (£3). Further details can be found in the email sent to Federation parents and carers.
Introducing shapes at Circle Time. Can you name your shape and put it in the right place?
This week we have been sharing the story of The Black Hat. The children have drawn pictures and had a go at retelling the story in their own words
KEY CHRISTMAS DATES
* 11 December Afternoon Session Christmas Party. Children normally attending nursery on Tuesday afternoons are invited to an afternoon of Christmas fun, dancing and games. Children are welcome to wear something festive or a favourite party outfit.
* 12 December 12.30-1.15 Nursery Christmas Singing Celebration. Parents and carers are welcome to join us for Christmas arts and crafts followed by some Christmas singing.
* 13 December Morning Session Christmas Party. Children normally attending nursery on Thursday mornings are invited to a morning of Christmas fun, dancing and games. Children are welcome to wear something festive or a favourite party outfit.
Look at us mark making outside this morning!
*We plan to decorate the classroom with the children in the first week of December. If you have any spare Christmas decorations they would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Introducing repeated patterns today at Circle Time
Sharing our story of the week "Shark in the Park".
Looking through our telescopes like Timothy Pope
Thank you to all the children who came to Nursery today wearing spots or pyjamas and raising money for Children in Need!
* PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SCHOOL PHOTO MONEY MUST BE RETURNED BY 16/11/18
*CHILDREN IN NEED FRIDAY 16th NOVEMBER - CHILDREN ARE WELCOME TO WEAR PYJAMAS OR ANYTHING SPOTTY AND BRING A £1 DONATION
*WE WILL BE MAKING AND DECORATING TELESCOPES NEXT WEEK AS WE SHARE OUR NEW STORY "SHARK IN THE DARK". PLEASE BRING IN KITCHEN ROLL OR TOILET ROLL TUBES IF YOU HAVE ANY.
* WE NEED SHOE BOXES TO MAKE NURSERY RHYME BOXES. IF YOU HAVE ANY AT HOME THAT YOU NO LONGER NEED WE WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL. THANK YOU :-)
In Nursery we learn through play and playful activities (for example, going on a listening walk, looking for shapes in the outdoor environment and making constructions). We have guided learning sessions with our teachers throughout the day in small groups. We gather together to sing songs, play games and listen to stories. Each half term our learning begins with a topic as a starting point to engage and inspire the children. Within this is the opportunity for the children’s own interests to develop and direct the course that the topic will take.
In Nursery we follow the EYFS curriculum which is based around the following seven areas of learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Communication and Language
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
We also plan activities and resource our environment to encourage children to develop their own ‘Characteristics of Effective Learning’. Beginning to develop these skills, such as perseverance, taking a risk, thinking critically and making links, will equip them as learners throughout school and beyond.
Things to bring to Nursery:
- A full change of spare clothes - Please ensure each item is named and available at Nursery every day (these can be left in a bag on your child’s peg)
- A pair of welly boots (again please label these with your child’s name and leave at Nursery on the welly racks)
- A warm, waterproof coat
- A sunhat (during the spring/summer months)
- A bag/book bag for your child’s drawings/paintings etc and letters
- If your child is still in nappies please provide spare nappies, nappy bags and wipes.
Provided by Nursery:
- Snack – a piece of fruit or vegetable (carrots, tomatoes, bananas, apples, pears, tangerines and raisins)
- Milk and water (water provided in a named water bottle)
- Morning session: 8:45 - 11:45am, afternoon session: 12:15 - 3:15pm
- If your child attends full day sessions there is a charge for the half hour lunch club from 11:45am-12.15pm. Children can bring a packed lunch or order a school meal.