Week Beginning 20th April
Hope you all had a good Easter. I have been doing my daily exercise - some days including the Joe Wicks workout - and have been reading quite a lot. I am onto my fourth book since the lockdown began! I hope you are all keeping safe, following the government's instructions and looking after each other. We are all finding it weird, and a little annoying, but we must all do what we are asked to so that we all stay safe and can move beyond this as soon as possible.
Below you will find some activities for the week. Remember, you will all be in different situations so you do not have to work through these in order. Do try to do as many of the tasks as you can, as independently as you can (give your parents a break!) If you find yourself wanting other tasks, either look at the home learning updates on our page or on the main federation page as there are LOTS of free websites and resources out there for you to be taking advantage of.
Look after yourselves!
Work for the week beginning 20th April
- Activity 1: Read through the text called ‘Evil Star’ and answer the comprehension questions related to the text.
- Activity 2: Remind yourself of the different co-ordinating and subordinating conjunctions you know (Think: FANBOYS and WABBITS!) Complete the ‘Co-ordinating and Subordinating conjunctions Sheet’ and have a go at writing your own sentences using a range of conjunctions. You can choose Mild or Spicy (or complete them both!) FANBOYS and WABBITS are on the sheet to help you!
- Activity 3: Read the Storyteller’s Gift and answer the comprehension questions below.
- Activity 4: Complete a book review about a book that you have been reading. You can either complete the book review template or you could video yourself with the book and explain what you like about the book and who you would recommend reading it.
- Activity 5: McTwist and Shout! Find out about the history of skateboarding on Education City - https://go.educationcity.com/content/index/32593/8/1/1/. If you are unable to access Education City, the text and activity sheets are attached to the bottom of the page.
- Activity 1: Think carefully about what is going on in the world at the moment and plan a letter to someone you care about. You could also think about keeping a diary during the Covid-19 crisis. It will be something to look back on in many years time!
- Activity 2: Write the letter (in your neatest handwriting).
- Activity 3: Edit and self-assess your letter.
- Activity 4: Continue building up words in your grammar dictionary. The words this week: preposition and relative clause. For each term, provide multiple examples and a definition. You can use this website to help you - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zhrrd2p
- Activity 5: Complete the ‘Spelling Stations 2’ task on Education City - https://go.educationcity.com/content/index/32711/8/1/1/
- Activity 1: Play ‘Bargain Hunter’ from Education City (activity is also attached below) - https://go.educationcity.com/content/index/34617/8/2/1/
- Activity 2: Use Times Tables Rockstars to get regular mental maths practise.
- Activity 3: Maths Investigation – Four 4s. Find each consecutive number starting from 1 using four 4s. You must use four 4s, no more, no less, to calculate each number. Full instructions (and some examples) are attached at the bottom of the page.
- Activity 4: Ratio and Proportion Worksheet (attached at the bottom of the page).
- Activity 5: All Change! This is a game that involves you using your knowledge of fractions, decimals and percentages. This game can be played in lots of different ways (you can even come up with your own instructions). There are instructions on two ways you can play the game and the board. You will need a dice so if you do not have these at home, you could print of a template or just draw the net of a cube, add dots and fold it all together! You will also need 16 counters (these could be made out of scrap paper).
Some other suggestions:
- Have a look on the ‘Home Learning Updates’ tab to the right of this page. There are websites that you can explore and activities to do.
- Complete some of the Geology related activities below from the Lapworth Museum (based in Birmingham).
- Find a map of the UK and label important landmarks/places that you have learnt about in History or Geography during your time at the Trumpington Federation (some examples could include: Stonehenge, Tower of London, Sutton Hoo, Hadrians Wall, Lindisfarne, Offa’s Dyke, White Cliffs of Dover, Roman Baths in Bath, Skara Brae, Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, Snowdon). What can you tell your family about each of these places?
- Learn a new song or piece of music.
- If you have completed any homework projects (or any other projects!) we would love for you to send in a photo to the office. Then we can share the projects on the website.